Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Never will we forget

Again, that Reba McIntire song haunts me. What do you say? What do you say to the father who just received news that his beautiful 19-year-old daughter is gone? What do you say to your Mom when she calls, hysterical and in tears to tell you that Samantha is gone? Do you curse God? Do you fall to your knees and pray that there has been a horrible mistake? The little blond girl who used to follow you around is gone? This cannot be true.

Sadly, it is true. Samantha is gone. I cannot imagine what her father is going through. They were tight. I envied their relationship. She kept no secrets from him and he worshipped the ground she walked on. The Father Knows Best at it's finest.

I wish there were words to express what I feel. I want so very badly to tell my whole family, it will be all right. But somehow, I don't think it will. Things will never be the same again for that family.

Nana used to say to say she had two blond angels. Now, one of them is with her. Rest in peace, Sam.


Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

No comments: