Friday, July 13, 2007

Progress

Until I was 16, I lived in a rural area. My definition of rural: there were no Walmart, Kmart or even a local convenience store for at least an hour away. Dirt roads you could ride for hours and never see a power line or any hint of civilization. The closest thing we had was a small store located on "main" street. Did I mention there were only 2 streets? Main Street and the one that went through town. I lived on that one. But before I moved to town, I lived about 5 miles away on a farm. We had neighbors across the road but we had a lot of privacy. Even though we lived in a remote area, everyone still knew everyone else and their business. And I hated it. Yet, I miss it.

This morning, I heard a loud sound and wondered what it was. I thought the city was cutting trees again. I tossed and turned until finally the noise was so loud I couldn't get back to sleep. I emailed Steve and he asked if I had seen all the equipment outside. I made my way to the window and couldn't see any equipment but I did see a 6-point deer walking along the tree line. Behind it, where yesterday I could see nothing but trees, I could see piles of red clay dirt. I went to do a few things, came back and there it was: the big, ugly, yellow equipment.

I felt like someone had just gut punched me. I knew they were trying to sell all the land for commercial use, but I didn't know it included the land behind us. I have no doubt that within a few weeks; we will be looking at a row of new houses, all looking as though they were cut from the same cookie cutter.

I must say I am very disappointed. I guess only time will tell what will happen to our little forest. But in the meantime, I don't expect any of my new animal friends to come visiting. I think that is what saddens me the most, all those animals have to find new homes now.

They call it progress. But is it really? I don't think so.

No comments: