Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Yup I still want a diamond

One of my friends posted a bulletin this morning with the following pictures. She is a really great person, but one person can't save the world. To me, these pictures, while they may show the truth, also are what I like to call a guilt trip. They are intended to make you feel guilty for buying such things. It brings to your attention things that you would rather not see or hear about. The unpleasantries of life, so to speak. (Yes, you grammar Nazis, I made up a word, hehe)

Some of you may remember the days of the Ethiopia campaign. My parents would tell me things such as "eat all your liver, there are starving children in Ethiopia." I would then ask if we could send my portion of liver to all the starving countries. After picking myself up off the floor, I soon learned that I couldn't save the world with one plate of liver.

I have always maintained the fact that there was only one person in this world who can make me feel "guilty" about my actions. And sadly, she is no longer here. I never felt so bad in my entire life as when she would tell me "you never spend the night with me anymore." What I wouldn't give to have that chance now. Unreasonably, I still carry that guilt around with me.

At any rate, I will look at these pictures, say, "wow, I didn't know that or that's a shame", but will it change the way I look at a diamond, food or even a pair of jeans? No, it won't. Does that make me a bad person? I hope not, because I'm looking forward to the day that I get my next diamond. HINT, HINT Steve.

So, are there pictures, news articles, etc that you have seen that makes you completely stop buying a product or stop using something? I'm just curious because I wonder if I'm being a cold hearted b*tch.




No comments: