Thursday, February 22, 2007

They say it's worth a 1000 words

Most of you may or may not know that Lent started yesterday. I spent a lot of the week wondering what am I willing to sacrifice? I went through all the traditional things that I have given up in the past: bread, beef, pork or chicken. I don't really have any food vices to speak of, with the exception of cheese. I don't consider tea as an option, as I would dehydrate in the 40 days (technically 46 but who's counting?) of the Lenten season. So with the food options pretty much out of the question, I decided to look at something I really have a passion for. And it hit me: photography.

Spring is coming, DST is on it's way, as is my 33rd birthday. All of these are reasons for me to grab my camera and go out exploring in my quest for the perfect picture.

I'm wondering if I can do this. I think I can, but it's going to be a struggle. I keep my camera by my bed, charged at all times, and usually throw it in the car when I'm headed out. So, I'm thinking, hide it, but then what type of sacrifice would that be? That is akin to the look but don't touch theory. I am going to keep it beside the bed, charged and ready. Let's see if I can over come temptation.

Most people are probably thinking it's not a big deal, it's just a camera. But to me, it's my passion, second nature. But for the next 45 days, it's going to be the big pink elephant sitting in my room, calling my name. I guess we shall see how things go.

~
A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is being photographed in the deepest sense, and is, thereby, a true expression of what one feels about life in its entirety. ~Ansel Adams

No comments: